Thursday, October 29, 2009

OKC Advanced Kettlebell Workshop

Saturday night Sherrie and I went out with the Orange Kettlebell crew after the workshop to kick back a little after day one. At some point John Wild made a comment that stuck with me. We were discussing where how it came to be that Coach Denis Kanygin had come to be involved with OKC.

You see, John’s been at this whole kettlebell thing for a while now. He’s studied with a number of notable coaches, clubs and competitive athletes. After spending 4 or 5 years studying any single thing, generally you’re at least starting to become what I’d consider to be something of an authority on your chosen subject. So it is with John, an authority. Anyway, his comment on meeting Denis at that point in his career, when he’s very well established and well regarded in his coaching and competing was “...all the sudden I’m like ‘I’m a fraud!’”


Now, for anyone that’s spent even a minute or two watching John work knows the extent to which that’s not actually the case. The point is that Denis was just that good and concise in his coaching. Personally, I can’t even begin to explain how many different ways I gained and improved as a result of this weekend’s course. Already I’m a considerably better athlete for it. Given time and practice with some of the technique and programming ideas I gained, it’s going to be a whole new ballgame.


But here’s my point. When was the last time you bumped up against someone or something that really humbled you? When was the last time you opened yourself to an experience with so much potential for growth, it seemed like you were starting from square one?

If you can’t remember, it’s time to go find that opportunity. It’s time for a growth spurt.


For those of you looking for that kind of opportunity in your own athletic training, I highly recommend following these links.

OrangeKettlebellClub.com

WorkoutIQ.com

No comments: