Thursday, March 26, 2009

What Are You Doing Here Anyway?


60 days to Memorial Day

Why are you training?

No really. Why, specifically, are you training?

I was talking to an old friend the other day about their goals and ambitions to go for her pro card as an ultra endurance athlete. She's made tons of progress recently and I was curious as to the particulars of her training program; where strength training came in, where an how she got most of her cardio conditioning. It was so amazingly specific and precise. Anyway, the whole thing got my brain to working.

I got to thinking of my workout last summer. No real goal, no real inspiration, no real excitement or progress, the exact opposite of what I was listening to. I personally was working out just 'cause. 'Cause I'm supposed to. 'Cause I'm used to working out more often than not. 'Cause... I didn't really know why I was there.

Why are you here anyway? I don't mean that in the existential meaning of life kind of way. Why are you here on this blog? Why are you in the gym 3 or 4 times a week? 'Cause you know it's good for you or (my favorite, the so very ambiguous) 'cause "I need to?" Time to find a direction my friend. Memorial Day is only 72 days away. Maybe that helps. Maybe not.

Sit with a piece of paper and work out your priorities. Work out your goals for yourself. You'll never get anywhere if you can't even decide where you're going. I've said it before and I'll say it again, goals are the markers that keep us on track and point the way to our own success. Find your goals. Find your purpose. Get somewhere.

No comments: