Sunday, March 1, 2009

Saturday Night Blowout

We've got one more look at the squat coming up, so that'll be next time. Right now I want to recognize this week's Saturday Night Blowout. 

"It's one of the first times that I felt like I can...I can do this." 

Adaptation: The body's response to elevated demands. 

That's what it's all about. You push, you push and you push. Your body thanks you by growing
 stronger, faster, more coordinated and more efficient. It's also what Steve over at Extreme Fitness Concepts and I like to call evolving. 

Evolve: To undergo gradual change; develop

One becomes something new, something bigger and better in certain aspects than they were before. Not better in terms of one is better than another, but better in terms of personal growth, beating and achieving more than what you were. Attaining
 more. Achieving progressively higher goals. 

The athletes at each week's Saturday Night Blowout have committed themselves to a
 process of evolution. Last week's first timer identified how after recovery from the workout, he felt stronger, more in control of the movements. Sometimes evolution isn't so gradual. Sometimes it progresses in leaps and bounds. 

We were introduced to the 6th Beast yesterday. One round building upon the intensity of the last, taking advantage of the fatigue. As you grow wearier and wearier, you have to draw deeper and deeper from that energy reserve. You have to ask yourself how badly you want to achieve success.  A perfect example of how real fitness includes so much more than just ones physicality. 

Out to the courts and into the loving embrace of the Barbarian. This is fitness you don't get by sitting in a soft cushy easy chair with a weight stack attached. This is the kind of fitness you earn with sweat, determination and a rejection of the idea of personal failure. I will succeed. I will push myself. I will achieve. I will grow. I will evolve.

In the courts, "can't" disappears. You figure out how. You find a way. And you know what? It works. If at first glance your task looks impossible, take a closer look. Clues to the path
through to your achievement lie just below the surface. What is the goal? What must be done? What do I have to do in order to make that possible? It's like the saying my wife is so fond of. "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time."

No excuses. Achieve. 

Post results in the comments section.

No comments: