Thursday, April 1, 2010

Long Cycle Championships

Well, 2nd in my weight class and a personal best. What did we learn on Saturday?
You know, after being to a number of these things, I just can't say how much I love the people I run into at each one. If you're in the New York area and haven't plugged into the GS community here yet, then you really need to get your arse in gear. You're missing the party.

At any rate, what did I learn? To take absolutely nothing away from my fellow competitors, I learned that I am the first person to defeat myself. Lost a few reps there all on my own. Didn't need any help there. Why? How? Where did those reps go wrong?

1. Fixate the bell immediately in lockout.
2. Wait for the judges count no matter how long my lactic acid drunk brain thinks he/she is taking to make the call. In truth, they're probably right on it, it just seems like an eternity in my own brain.

Ok, so I need to adjust my training. Fault 1 is that I wasn't training with someone counting, so my ear wasn't attuned to waiting for the count before going on to the next. Utilize a training partner. Check.

Fault 2. Fixation was a little slow in coming at times. That's a little harder to train. But you know what's interesting, both points boil down to one thing. Patience. Patience on the platform, under 100+lbs of load, especially in the second half of the set is hard. But then again, isn't that the point?

Looking forward to seeing everyone in August at the Worlds.

No comments: