Friday, February 20, 2009

Breathe Later

The sign up sheet for this week's Saturday Night Blowout is up and ready to go. Contact me or stop by West River to reserve space.

I want to give some quick props to Jen Place, a triathlete and old friend of mine. She just posted a perfect example of fitness in the real world. I'm going to quote from her blog (JenPlace.blogspot.com) here. "...
after that, I ran errands, literally, around my neighborhood and then an hour of strength training in the afternoon. Having a backpack full of groceries, I found, is a great way to work on running strength!" Look back to Foundation VII. Fitness doesn't just exist in the gym. Find those things you can use to challenge yourself every day. Awesome job Jen.

Now, on to the big show...

Breathe Later!

Take stock my friend. Take stock and dare to push yourself.

While traveling to visit family recently my wife and I ended up training at one of those open 24 hours a day chain gyms. At least I thought it was a gym. My mistake. Once we were inside, turns out we'd signed up for a gym themed social club. It must have been a good five minutes on the floor before I saw anybody pick something up or lift their extremely well rested derriere up off the comfy bench or lay-z boy styled style machines they were holding hostages. Cliques of "workout" buddies and friends hanging out, waiting for the next round of Sports Center.

Ladies and gentlemen, checking in at the desk to merely check out on the floor does not constitute a workout and will not get you anywhere.

I've been questioned as to why I hate TVs in the gym so much. Plain & simple, if you have time to watch TV in the gym, you're not working hard enough. And that applies to every fitness level. It's scalable to everyone. If you are working efficiently and pushing your body at the appropriate level to illicit a training response, you're not going to have time to give one rat's furry butt which Olsen twin was seen doing what or who admitted to using steroids this week.

You've got a tv at home. You've got tv in your car, on your cell phone, iPod.... Try not watching it for 30 minutes while you're working out. Focus on your routine. Rest later. Breathe later. Work now and actually see results.

Happy hour is over kids. We've got work to do.

No comments: